Follow on Facebook

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

My Best Friend's Wedding

***********
Two friends meet after a long interval of ten years. One of them is getting married. After the function they bid each other bye through smiles. They suspect if it would take them another ten years to meet again.
*************

I saw him the last day,
Last day as bachelor,
Smiling at those horizons,
Of the happy days to come.
He tends to future,
To his life, to his love,
Happy yesterdays are forgotten
For happier tomorrows.

Forgotten pasts ne’er meant
Me, so came a phone call,
He called; I came, for a long
Unforgotten promise-to meet,
To smile, to share, to cheer,
To bluff, to tease, to dream,
And to leave unconditionally.

*****

A cup of tea, snacks tasting homely,
Just like always he demanded
Three-fourth of all toffees.
Certain things are ne’er forgotten.
Ten years since I’ve seen
Him, His laughter just
Caused me to think that
Yesterdays can’t be tomorrows.

He spoke of his silly little girl,
His ‘would-be’, and of his
‘How to deal her?’ worries,
Enquiries, of what women like,
Dislike, tastes and preferences.
Now it’s my turn to speak of
Nail polishes, jewelry, park, theatre,
New wear, party, everything I know.

He doubtfully enquires of books,
I doubt it-I say, I cannot be sure.
He smiles. But why? Did
He compare? Me and her,
Or friend and love, or
Yesterday and tomorrow.
I don’t know. And
I don’t want to.

*****

Leading me back into decorations,
He points at a familiar doll,
Peeping out of the shelf,
Driving me into those school days
Of sinless fights and thoughtless talks.
His birthday, the doll, the gift, me
Sharing a common bond-a sense
Of belonging-a warmth.

Now that tomorrow I’ll meet them,
The bride and her groom, my friend.
He would smile, she would stare, all
At the ease by which I shake her hand,
Only to say “Wish you a happy
Married life”. Then I’ll leave,
Turning once around to tell him,
“See you again”. Smiling unconditionally.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

great!!!touching.

sunish said...

marvelous..... great effort
nothing in the world is as astounding as your writing.... u r just unbelievable

(-)_|E$|-| said...

neee oru sadhanam thanne..

Unknown said...

superb da!! u r so skilled!!all da best....

Sachin Suresh said...

Touching. These words are sweet. You deserve a thumbs up.